Monday, August 4, 2014

Frustrated about Child Support! Is My Case Worker Doing All They Can Do?

My ex-husband and I divorced back in 2007 and per agreement he was court ordered to pay $575.00 a month for child support for our then 9 year old daughter.
Since 2007 he has only paid 3 months worth. Maybe even less.
For years I didn't complain to the courts about him not paying because I felt sorry for him and THOUGHT he had no money to pay it. Well I recently found out in April 2013 that he moved into a house and had been working as a driver. I figured since he's doing okay for himself and actually isn't broke that I'd ask him about paying child support. He ignored my text messages and phone calls, which I knew he would. So in August 2013 I notified the courts that he had not been paying child support.- [NOTE: I told him I would, but I don't think he believed me.] Within a few weeks he has received notice that he owes a total of $115,000.00 in back child support. Since then my phone goes off ever so often and it's him, saying how ridiculous the amount is and that I'm lying to the courts, and that I need to contact them "immediately" and tell them that he's paid me every cent. What?

During this whole process my case worker has been giving me the run around about receiving any kind of payment from him. The case worker said that she can't locate an employer so they can't garnish his wages. But she confirmed with me that she KNOWS he works during the day. Well, if you know he works why wouldn't you ask him about his employer? Among other excuses this case worker gives me when I call her, she's unprofessional! She once told me, "I have over 600 cases like you"- thanks for stating the obvious. I am aware what case workers in your profession do, but are you using this as an excuse as to why I haven't received a dime from this guy who is obviously working? Last time I checked not paying child support was illegal in this country. My ex-husband is very conniving and will fight to not pay ANYTHING if he could. And before anyone says something about money, that's not the reason for my rant, truly. I have been raising both of our kids on my own since he left us and moved out. He knew I couldn't afford to pay our mortgage on my own so my kids and I had to move into a small apartment. When we divorced he tried to gain full custody of our kids, take my car, and my vacation accruals from my employer(?)- basically he tried his best to knock me down and keep me there. Well now that our daughter is in high school (an honors student) she has been involved in choir and other extra curricular classes that require students to travel. I've asked him in the past to help pay for her schooling and he says that what she's doing is "a waste of time and money". I don't know what to do but I don't feel it's right that this guy can go about his daily life and not pay child support! If he was down in the dirt broke and only had money to survive- trust me- I would not be asking.

Read more: Frustrated about Child Support! Is My Case Worker Doing All They Can Do?