Thursday, July 23, 2015

Homeowners insurance, second policy?


My husband is currently buying a home, I will not be on the mortgage due to credit issues. When we was trying to get homeowners insurance we found that his ex wife had left him on her policy and in 2013 made two insurance theft claims, one was of a large amount. Most reputable homeowners insurance companies have denied him coverage. He was able to maintain insurance through geico, but we were told he needs to avoid making any claims in the next three years. Which is a crazy thing to request, but we need the insurance to close, so we took it. My question is, can I take out an additional policy on the house that we could use if anything were to happen or would his ex wife's negative history affect me, since he is my husband? Or could I even do it at all?

Read more: Homeowners insurance, second policy?