Monday, March 17, 2014

The irs took my refund because i filed bankruptcy?

Okay, a few years ago the IRS took my now husbands refund because he filed bankruptcy. He was going through a divorce and his X stopped paying on the mortgage of the house and racked up the credit cards. When he had his taxes done it he was supposed to get about 8400 back. He did not get any of that back except for 1300 (childcare/daycare). A year or two later he got a letter in the mail stating the refund was wrong and he had to repay the 8400. Turns out the lady who did his taxes messed them all up. We did a amended return and the difference was about 3200.

We are still being charged to pay back this return that we never received to begin with.

My question is should we still have to pay back the refund that we never received?

Thanks for all of your help
Added (1). I believe that is what the trustee did without our knowledge.

Christopher,
We were under the impression that he was supposed to get the 8400 back. It was mostly all taken from the trustee(I believe). Then we later found out the lady who did his taxes messed them up. So instead of "getting back the 8400" we should have only gotten about 5200. Which I what they are wanting us to pay back.

Read more: The irs took my refund because i filed bankruptcy?