Sunday, March 16, 2014

UK ONLY! Why is austerity so bad?

My personal debts have never been better, as I spring cleaned all my finances in 2008 when things started to get tough, I consolidated my credit card and overdraft, and now don't owe anything to anyone apart from a bit on my mortgage. My bills are less now than they they were 4-5 years ago as I switched insurance companies for car and house, switched energy providers twice paying less for my electricity than 5 years ago, my council tax is frozen and has been hardly increasing for years now, and although I haven't had a pay rise for 2 years, been able to afford holidays more than I used to. Mortgage almost paid off, final salary pension scheme building nicely. I am not rich, far from it, but Osbourne's policy has not hurt me one iota.

Yes, I noticed that council services got worse, yes I noticed NHS trusts get into debt, yes I noticed thousands of potholes in roads not getting filled, yes I noticed cutbacks to police, fire and ambulance services, so I know that austerity isn't all good. Disagree with food banks, when we are sending more than a billion £ every month in foriegn aid and more than 2 billion £ a month subs to the EU!

But, what the heck are people dribbling on about, whineing about austerity at every opportunity? Socalled bedroom tax, wth it is NOT a tax at all. What did they do to put their OWN finances in order?

Life is good… Watch Ed NoBalls spoil it when he gets to be chancellor and does the old Labour trick of giving it all away again.
Added (1). Yes Antst, I tried to give a 'balanced view' from my own perspective. I tried to show the good and bad in a frank way. Just trying to get my head around all the moaning and whineing about it all, when it seems many people didn't try to help themselves (when they could have done) during a serious cutback that they knew was gonna happen. So there!
Added (2). @Antst. I have 'clearly' described what I did to ensure my finances stayed on track and in the black. My question sits amongst the text I wrote implying why others cannot seem to help themselves like I did, but would sooner do nothing but whinge moan and stuff McDonalds and KFC down themselves instead of staying employed, working hard, coordinating their finances and 'living within their means'. Instead of turning it into some kind of a personal attack like so many do on here, TRY ANSWERING the Q.

Read more: UK ONLY! Why is austerity so bad?