Sunday, April 27, 2014

How to get rid of unused, spoiled driveway sealer & patch?


I have a 50 lbs bag of asphalt patchh and two 5 gallon pails of unused sealer for the driveway. I purchased this in the summer of 1999 when we bought the house. In order to pay the taxes, mortgage, I find myself working 14 hours a day week days and 10 hours a day Saturdays. On Sunday I sleep, do laundry and buy food. I have no time. I have a very lazy wife who has become a Facebook and video game addict. She can't do anything for herself, let alone help me around the house.
So that crap just sat for 15 years in the garage.
They joys of upstate NY, Arkansas incomes and NYC prices. You get the worst of both. My house is dilapidated. Little by little I fix things, like $14,000 for a roof that had 4 layers of shingles, every one since it was built in 1926. Lots of structural work on that mess. Fixing the screwed up electrical system little by little. I just don't care about the driveway anymore. Asphalt over concrete. Completely crumbled. Before I spend $3,000 fixing that, I'll spend $6,000 on fixing the foundation. It keeps blowing out and I keep patching. It is done. I had an estimate to replace it completely in 2005 of about $20,000 or repair/rebuild the bad spots for about $6,000. At some point I'm just going to walk away from it, and her. Both were poor decisions. In the mean time, I have to clean up this dump.

Read more: How to get rid of unused, spoiled driveway sealer & patch?