Thursday, May 29, 2014

What is a good career choice for a complacent freeloader?

We've all got one, the family freeloader - can anyone give me some advice on getting my brother on his feet and making a decent living?

The situation: I'm a 26 year old female who owns a home with my mother; bills, mortgage, furniture, etc. Everything is equal. We have a great relationship and this works for us, both being single professional working women, however there is a third (and broken) wheel to this equation.

My twin brother (also 26, of course) is a complete burden and defines the term freeloader, but my mother pities him and refuses to be firm with him insofar as getting his ID, doing his taxes, improving his education and getting a decent job. He's a full fledged adult man, however he still behaves like a below-average intelligence teenager (sleeps all day, occasionally works evenings as a banquet server for minimum wage, spends All of his money on pot and video games, doesn't clean up after himself, extremely poor diet, etc.).

My mother is mostly content to ignore this but I am fed up - he lives like a cockroach in the basement.

Can anyone tell me what a decent career (and salary) might be for this idiot? He is depressed and (to put it kindly) not very bright, has minimal computer skills, and has debt which he refuses to address, and is absolutely terrified of 'growing up'.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I'd like him out of my life and out living his own! I don't understand this mentality, but have heard it's not unique?

Read more: What is a good career choice for a complacent freeloader?