Wednesday, June 25, 2014

An overdue book that went to a collection agency is hurting my credit score. What can I do?

I'm in the process of qualifying for a home mortgage at a good rate. The mortgage company (Wells Fargo) pulled my credit and I found out that there was an overdue book from the library that had gone to collection a year and a half ago, which brought down my score. I would like to try to make reparations, if possible. I have now paid the overdue fees to the library, and I am wondering what the next steps should be. I am wondering:

1) Can the library ask the three big credit agencies to remove the derogatory mark?

2) Is there anything I can personally do with the three big credit agencies to get the derogatory mark removed sooner?

3) The library tells me that now that the fees are paid, it will show that on my credit report and it will remain on my report for 13 months. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Read more: An overdue book that went to a collection agency is hurting my credit score. What can I do?