Friday, August 15, 2014

Debt of Separated Spouse at Death?

If a couple are completely separated (finances, et al), and everything they own is in their separate names (and a quit claim deed has already been filed on the home although both remain on the mortgage), and one party dies, can the other be held responsible for their debt?
Added (1). No divorce paperwork has been filed yet, however an informal separation agreement was signed (but not witnessed so I don't think it holds any weight for anything). They have been physically and financially separated for over 7 months.
Added (2). For the record, I'm fine paying the mortgage myself. I already am even though he's still on it. But he DOES have about $50k in credit card and medical debt in his name, and that's what I'm worried about.

Read more: Debt of Separated Spouse at Death?