Sunday, August 17, 2014

Legal situation on Divorce in London for family?

I'm asking about a situation my mother has found herself in, she is 46 and married to my 49 year old father who is an alcoholic, he has relapsed from a previous drinking problem and since April has been binging at weekends and recently got a drink-drive ban for two years.

my mother earns about 1/4 of my father's salary (as he has a top city job) and myself and my mother have recently discussed the possibility of divorcing my father due to his unwillingness to stop drinking (not going to alcoholics anonymous or receive medical help either).

In court, I'd like to know whether my mum could try to keep the house (about £70,000 left on mortgage) in any separation on the 3 grounds:

) Husband is alcoholic, has conviction to prove it

2) Mum will take care of my 17 year old sister, who will be doing her final year of A-levels, and myself (20 years old doing medicine at University)

3) She will need a house for her mother (my grandma) to live in, she has lived with us for the last 4-5 years and in the event of divorce will want to live with my mother.

Myself and my sister are willing to testify at any hearing about his drunkenness and how it makes it impossible to hold together a family life.

Read more: Legal situation on Divorce in London for family?