Sunday, August 24, 2014

Losing money from renting to family?

4 years ago my husband (before we got married) rented his house to his brother who had just lost his house and filed for bankruptcy. Since he was single and had the money to do so he rented his house out for $1200 less than the mortgage payment. Since then we've had a baby, bought another house and I've quit my job to stay home with the little one ( which means bringing home $80k less a year. His brother is in a much better situation now (making more money than my husband, and his wife is able to stay home. Good for him! :) and were now bringing in a lot less. We've increased the rent a a few hundred dollars but with much difficulty, and guilt trips. But we're still over budget because of the extra money it costs us to rent to them.

We need to increase their rent just to cover the mortgage (which is still below average rental costs in the area.) any pointers in discussing this with them without having them be mad at us. They have aggressive type personalities and my husband and I are passive people pleasers.

Any advice is very appreciated!

Read more: Losing money from renting to family?