Wednesday, August 20, 2014

To pay off debt or use money for down payment?

We sold our house to pay off debts and closing date is today (Aug. 20th). We will be living with my in-laws for the time being, as I have had to quit my job to be home with my daughter due to medical needs. I have two questions. Firstly, what is your best suggestion to investing $60,000-$80,000 while we are living with our in-laws until we find our next house (obviously trying to find something that I can consumer debt such as Line of Credit and Credit Cards but will not be paying of 0% interest car loan. However I am unsure if I should be paying off my OSAP Loan. It is roughly $20,000 and I pay $269/month. I don't know which is better. Freeing up the $269 to use towards a future mortgage payment, but having a smaller down payment OR having a larger down payment but still having the $269/month debt payment. We will have roughly $114,000 net from our house sale. $20,000 in Line of Credit and $6000 in credit card debt. My husband makes $56,900 annually. Based on my previous house I am assuming our next house will have roughly $3000 annual property tax, $50/month water, $80-100 hydro and $100-150 gas bills. Our car payment is $280/month (insurance is $170/month). Hope that is enough information but if not please feel free to contact me. Thank you so much for any help you can offer.
Added (1). Error Noted***…(obviously trying to find something that I can have access to without penalty while earning the highest possible return). Secondly we will be paying off consumer debt such as Line of Credit…

Read more: To pay off debt or use money for down payment?