Friday, August 22, 2014

When buying a house, how much should I have in savings after I pay the down payment?

Hi all. I'm 22 and have around 30k in savings. I'd like to buy a house in a few years, and in my area, 30k is enough for a 20% down payment on a great starter home. I know it's important to not spend all of my money on a down payment, but I'm looking for opinions on how much extra money I should save before I buy. 10k? The traditional "six months of bills" rule? Something else?

I don't want to talk to a realtor or financial planner until I'm much closer to being ready to buy, so I would appreciate any opinions. I love to plan ahead!

Also--I've been keeping all of my bank statements and pay stubs in a binder since I was hired at my FT job in March. Will a mortgage lender want to see so much detail, or am I wasting my time? Thank you!

Read more: When buying a house, how much should I have in savings after I pay the down payment?