Friday, October 31, 2014

How to buy a house when I'm 16?

Don't say "you can't". That's first of all a lazy answer, second of all incorrect, and third of all not going to change my mind.

Let me start off with the details, I'm graduating high school when I'm 16 and I want to move to either Minnesota or Florida and buy a $40-$90,000. Yes I've done my research and believe it or not (unlike my mom does), there are nice 1-2 bedroom houses for that cheap, they just need a bit of work. The reason I even want to buy my first house is to fix it up and rent it out after I'm done with college and also because my "rent" (mortgage payments) would be very low, even with just a 10 year mortgage (about $500-$750 a month).

So anyway, now you know the why and I'm wondering about the how. I think I could just put it under my parents name or something (I can't legally sign a mortgage contract until 18), but is there a way that my parents wouldn't be accountable for mortgage payments and they'd instead go to me? Or would I just have to pay my parents? I was just wondering if there was a way to do this without getting my parents too much involved.

Please give me as much information and advice as you can! Thanks!

Read more: How to buy a house when I'm 16?