Thursday, October 30, 2014

I have a big financial issue with my ex husband. My children think I am wrong. I need advice?

I have been separated from my ex husband for 14 years. For 4 years he paid no child support, while he lived with his parents with no overheads.
Long story short, I became very ill, and worked for 8 years, until a near death experience forced me to retire in 2008. Since then, we have lived on my meagre superannuation. In 2004 we bought another property together. Since then, his only financial support was paying the mortgage

1. He told my eldest son that when he finished Secondary School, he would buy him a car- (he has a great deal of money). On so doing, he took $25,000 out of the mortgage and bought the car, but has made my son pay for half of it back, monthly. The car is registered in my ex husband's name- he gets tax benefits, (for registration, insurance, petrol) paid for by my son, but it doesn't come off my son's debt. He is thus drawn down on his own child support to buy the car, and then got his son to pay half the child support back. I think this is unfair. Why should my son repay his own child support? AM I WRONG TO THINK THIS UNFAIR?

Two: Now he asked me, through our son, to sign $50,000 withdrawal from the property/child support for him to take the money out to buy an old car to restore - (he already drives a $210,000 BMW). I refused and both my children said I was being unfair, that it was "Dad's money" and not mine. I am still quite ill, and am in a financially precarious position. AM I BEING UNFAIR TO MY EX-HUSBAND? What do my children see that I don't?

Read more: I have a big financial issue with my ex husband. My children think I am wrong. I need advice?