Thursday, October 23, 2014

I'm getting ready to buy my first house and I could use as much advice as possible?

I've already been all over the internet gathering tips and advice for home buying, I've already talked to some real estate agents and because my husband is military, we will be using a VA loan so we won't have to make a down payment on a house. We are looking into San Antonio for real estate. I'd just like some help in making a checklist and knowing for sure what I need to do before I buy a home.

1. How much should I have in my savings to buy a house? I looked it up and there isn't a clear answer.

2. Should I even bother renting an apartment for a few months? I am in Washington State. My husband right now is at the military base in San Antonio and is transferring there (by his own choice, so the move is up to us, not the military). I'm not sure if I want to bother renting, because my husband has a good chance of getting a well paying job at the hospital where he is currently studying. I don't want to be stuck in a lease, and renting wastes money that I could put into owning my home.

3. How long does it take to officially purchase the house? Do I buy it and then move in the next day or how does that work?

Any other advice from buyers who have done this before, I would really appreciate and keep in mind. Thank you in advance

Read more: I'm getting ready to buy my first house and I could use as much advice as possible?