Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My husbands getting out of the military - Should we buy a house now or later?

My husband is getting out of the military in a few months and we are wanting to move back home and buy a house. Would we even qualify for a loan?

As of right now we have a combined income of $5600 a month Plus Benefits. When he gets out he will be working for the police department with the starting pay of $6200 a month Plus Benefits. I will be going to college on a scholarship to get my nursing degree. After I finish my 2 years in school, I will be eligible to work as a registered nurse.

My credit score is 780 and his is 776. We have no debt what so ever and both of our new cars are paid off so we do not owe anything monthly besides phones/food/gas. We only have $28,000 saved up which isn't a whole lot, but it's something.

Basically we are wanting to buy a house to finally call our own. After moving around from state to state we just want to settle down. Also renting a home would the same amount as owning one due to the cost of living. For example: In the general area we want to live the rent starts at $2400 a month. If we got a $450,000 loan the mortgage/taxes/insurance with a VA loan would be about $2375.

Read more: My husbands getting out of the military - Should we buy a house now or later?