Monday, October 20, 2014

Should I rent an apartment or buy a house?

I'm 22 years old. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a house or rent an apartment. I did move into an apartment with my friend at 19 years old for a little over a year and we spilt everything 50/50 besides groceries. He eventually had to move because he was going to school in another town, my parents didn't mind me moving back since I help pay the bills, help around the house, and cook meals also. I've also been saving since I started my first full time job at 18 and currently have about $32,000 in the bank with $0 debt.

Details:

I make $40,000 annually, 2-3% raise annually.
I plan to stay in the area for at least 5 years.
Houses in the area are relatively cheap, I live in Nebraska and can get a decent 2-3 bedroom 1-2 bathroom house for $100,000.
Four years work history at the same job.
If I buy a house I plan to put at least 20% down payment and preferably a 15 year fixed rate.
Credit score is 715.

My employer matches 70% on the first 10% i contribute to my 401k so I have been contributing 10% to my 401k plus an additional $2,400 annually to my Roth IRA. After taxes and everything I make between $2,200 - $2,400 each month. If I limit my mortgage to 25% of my monthly income, I would be able to buy an $75,000-$80,000 house on a 15 year fixed mortgage, and the monthly amount would be close to $600 with homeowner insurance & property taxes.

If I buy I will also need to buy washer/dryer, stove, fridge, microwave, couch, chairs, etc, etc, etc… Maybe $2k-3k budget
Added (1). I think I'm in a good position to buy, I'm just trying to decide if I should first rent an apartment for a year or two by MYSELF before buying a house. I plan on living by myself with either decision though.

Read more: Should I rent an apartment or buy a house?