Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What should I charge for renting out a room in my house? - 1

I'm 22 and soon I'll be buying a 3 bedroom + 2 bathroom house. I want to rent out a bedroom and bathroom and depending on what I use the 3rd bedroom for we might just both use it. We would be saring the living room, kitchen, and washer/dryer also. I'll be renting it out to a close friend who's been my best friend since 2nd grade so I think we will have any problems + we rented an apartment together for about 2 years without problems, but he had to move because he had to transfer to a different college. I'm trying to figure out how much I should charge him for rent + what percentage of utilities I should charge him. He just recently graduated from college and got a full time job starting at $36,000 a year. My mortgage will be about $600 a month for a 15 year fixed rate loan. I also calculated everything to make sure I'd have enough to afford the house on my own in case he decides to move out for any reason. Apartments in the area are charging between $500-$700 for a 1 bedroom apartment. Also, before I ever mentioned about buying a house and renting out part of it, he said that he had found a 2 bedroom apartment for $560 that he considered renting.

What should I be charging for rent?
How much should I charge for utilities?
Or should we split utilities 50/50?

Read more: What should I charge for renting out a room in my house? - 1