Thursday, November 20, 2014

Can a contractor force me to rebuild after a fire?

After my house caught fire, I had to hire a contractor to do the clean up per the insurance companies request. The only "contract" we had was stating he would be the contractor for whatever work was done. This was early on and more repairs had to be added to the final estimate. The contractor was overly eager to start repairs and I let him know many times to not do any work until I heard from insurance co. I wanted to "total" the house. When ins. Co. Said I could I let him know I have chosen not to repair the house and that I would be sending his check for the debris clean up. This was all he was approved to do. He then tells me they have completed half the work on the house and that I have to proceed. He never informed me that he was even working on the house. He emailed my ins. Co. To tell them I "stopped" the rebuild. The rebuild I never approved and they are demanding payment. Worst of all, I suspected something when he refused to give me an estimate (as the repairs were more than my policy) I check with the county and he has no license (!) and works under a family members license. Is any of this legal for him to do? He informed my ins. Co. That I am planning to pay off my mortgage. He doesn't know I already did. He has been threatening me with liens and saying he will get his money out of me. Again… IS THIS LEGAL? Thanks for any help to this. This has got me so stressed I think I need to up my meds. LOL.

Read more: Can a contractor force me to rebuild after a fire?