Sunday, November 23, 2014

Just finished second bachelor's degree. Where to go from here?

Here's my story in a nutshell: I graduated back in 2003 with a degree in Economics. I chose this major because of false promises of material wealth and pressure from my parents. My passion has always been languages, romance language in particular. After graduation, I got a job in investment banking, which pays quite well (200k plus bonuses), but left me intellectually unfulfilled. I became depressed and disillusioned. In 2011, I decided to return to school for a second bachelor's degree. My university did not offer a degree in romance languages so I chose a major in Spanish Language and Literature. My job allowed me to work reduced hours to accommodate my classes, and even paid for everything (they value bilingual employees)
Now I have the degree, but I thirst for more. I can't decide between a 3rd bachelors or some sort of graduate program, but these are my non-negotiable goals:
1) Perfect my French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, and learn Catalan and Galician. Then expand into Italian dialects.
2) Build a solid foundation of Greek and Latin
4) Study linguistics and the structure of human language.
My ultimate goal is a doctorate in romance philology. How do I get there while also accomplishing my learning goals? I cannot go abroad to study because I have a mortgage to pay and cannot afford to give up my job. Also, I expect my company to pay for my continued education. Can anyone recommend any programs in the US that fit my objectives?

Read more: Just finished second bachelor's degree. Where to go from here?