Sunday, November 23, 2014

Should I buy a home or keep renting?

My husband and I rent our home. We have a great relationship with our land lord and he has split home renovations with us and basically paid for half of everything we've always wanted to change/modify. Now we are in our 40s and we have 4 children all living here, we love it! We could buy, but that would set us back financially. Renting leaves us lots of money left over to take family vacations, afford better vehicles, etc. Why should we take on a mortgage now that wouldn't be paid off until after we retire? What is the benefit?! We don't need to borrow (we have no debt and don't take on debt lightly), so we are not going to be using the home as collateral. So why buy? Please educate me because my husband and I see no reason not to just keep renting until we retire and then maybe buy a condo.

Read more: Should I buy a home or keep renting?