Saturday, January 10, 2015

Do you get more financial aid if you have a sibling who is also in college?

I am about to start filling out my FAFSA for the 2015-16 school year. I will be a senior in college and my sister will be a freshman. Up until now, I've only received mostly unsubsidized loans because the gov't thinks my parents make enough money to help me pay for college (not the case, they do make a decent amount but it all goes to mortgage and bills). This upcoming school year my little sister will be in college too. Will this give us better financial aid, since it's more of a "burden to the family finances" having two students in college? I figured they take this into consideration because on the FAFSA they ask household size and then # in household attending college.

Read more: Do you get more financial aid if you have a sibling who is also in college?