Friday, January 9, 2015

What right do I have to collect my things from my ex, when he refuses to give them to me?

I was with my partner for 3 years, early last year he bought a home which we both moved into. He paid the deposit for the house so I never requested for my name to be on the house, but I paid towards the mortgage and bought a lot of items in the house including a £1000 fridge and £300 washing machine; both I have invoices for.
After all the hard work I put in the house, I noticed a change in him, and he soon asked me to move out so he could 'miss me'.
Anyway, he never ended up missing me as two weeks later a new girl had already taken my place and I was left pretty broken. I asked for the fridge and washing machine back, but he refused to give them to me because of the amount of money he had spent on me during our relationship, paying for a holiday etc.
It was a hard time for me so ive left it a couple months, but now ive had time to move forward, I still believe I am owned what is mine. I put a lot of time and effort into that home, and I have invoices which prove those items belong to me.
If he refuses to give them to me, what right do I have to collect them? I still have a key to the house which he doesn't know about, can I go in and get the items myself?
I just don't know where I stand at the moment with the situation, as he point blank refuses to give them back to me even though I paid for both items and they are both in my name?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Read more: What right do I have to collect my things from my ex, when he refuses to give them to me?