Friday, January 9, 2015

What would you do about this money?

I am 35 (woman) with my own home and mortgage, my Gran left me and my Brother the same amount each when she died about 16 years ago. The money has been maturing in bank accounts, I got a mortgage about 2 years ago now and used her money and money I had saved up as deposit. My brother had saved nothing so even with her Gran's money couldn't get a mortgage as had no deposit. My parents used his share of Gran's money and gave him the rest for tha flat and bought it out right for him with NO mortgage as they don't trust him with money, basically he spends it like water. Now, my Mum wants to put £500 into my mortage every month (overpayment) as a way of evening up the balance. She has been doing this for a year but our relationship (isn't the greatest anyway, her and my brother are like BFF) has been strained down to me seeing a man 20+ years my senior, so now I feel guilty about accepting this money as I feel beholden to her, like I have to be "princess perfect". I saved for years (about 16 years!) formy deposit, paid my own solicitors fees etc. And had to go cap in hand to the bank for a mortgage. My brother, who has always been naughtier than me (stealing family money, stealing family valuables etc.) had everything given to him on a plate. What should I do? Thanks x

Read more: What would you do about this money?