Saturday, January 10, 2015

Why kind of rights does she have if her son withdrew all her life savings?

My ex husband lives in Finland and his mom lives here. He was here for a visit recently but that is strange because he hasn't spoken to his mom in years because he told me she didn't understand him growing up and it is unforgivable. After he left she discovered that he withdrew her entire life savings. His name was on the account along with his brother in case of emergencies. I guess she never felt the need to take his name off the account. But he withdrew the money right before he left. She is now selling the house because she has nothing to live on but her SS. Does she have any rights since he was a signer on the account? BTW, I'm going to take this information and give it to her but then stay out of the situation because I'm not really family any more. His brother told me he was written out of the will after this happened. He hasn't talked to her since. BTW, I'm going to take this information and give it to her but then stay out of the situation because I'm not really family any more.
Added (1). Can you imagine why I didn't want to stay married to such an upstanding individual?
Added (2). I'm sure you are right but I feel horrible for her. I'm torn between trying to help a sweet old woman who saved her whole life and the fact I'm not her DIL any more and should stay out of it.

Read more: Why kind of rights does she have if her son withdrew all her life savings?