Monday, February 23, 2015

Family Help before it's too late?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. My husband's family is going through a rough patch. He is the youngest of 4 and his mother passed away when he was young. His dad is in poor health… Having a stroke, retiring early and now having a tumor removed in his bladder (possible cancer). He is 69. One of his daughters has lived with him for more than 10 years, rent free. She went through depression more than 10 years ago, which is why she moved back home. She is 40yo. She gets disability and social security and makes more than I did working a full time job (appx $2k/month). She also gets great health insurance. However, she is still asking my husband to borrow money. He normally doesn't tell me this as it usually causes an argument. My husband is a successful business owner. I am now a stay at home mom and due to this, we've created some debt that we are trying to chip away at. Now that his dad is possibly having to deal with cancer, it's raised more concern for me. How is his sister going to make it in the real world once dad is gone? He has debt too so I'd there is anything, it will likely be gone to pay for his mortgage/debts. I think she will try to continue living at the house (if it can still be kept, it's a lake house) for nothing and expect my husband and his brother(the two of 4 kids who actually make money) to take care of the rest? I'm worried she's going to drag us down with her and my hubs doesn't seem to think it's a problem.

Read more: Family Help before it's too late?