Thursday, February 19, 2015

How to Get My Sibling's Name Removed From My Property Deed?

I have a question. My dad, who is now deceased, put my half brother's name on the property deed. It was common knowledge that once my parents were dead, I'd get the land. But my mom decided to take her name off of the property deed once my dad died. To my knowledge, my half brother's name was added to the property deed in 2007. My dad died in 2011. My mom signed her part over in 2013, I believe. M husband and I live on the property (moved here at the end of 2012) and have paid the property tax for 2014 (possibly 2013 as well). The problem is, we've talked about moving a doublewide onto the property since the current trailer is in bad shape, or selling out. But my half brother will get half of the money from the sale when he's not physically lived on the land since 2011. How can I get my half brother's name removed from the property deed, when he refuses to sign the documents? We've even offered to pay the fee so all he has to do is show up and sign his name. Still, he refuses, saying that my dad wanted his name on the property to protect my assets. The problem with that is if I were to die, my half would automatically go to my spouse (who I'm pretty sure my half brother thinks he's "protecting me" from, eventho my dad didnt mean my spouse when he said those words to him). Now I'm stuck and I dont kno what to do, bc my mom is no help, she says we should just come to some compromise. Any advice?
Added (1). My half brother hasnt paid property tax on the land -- EVER. And the sell I mentioned would be if me and my spouse decided to sell the land, we'd have to split the profit with my half brother when he's basically abandoned the property since 2012. Also, when I tried to talk to him about agreeing to putting the land up for collateral for a home upgrade, he refused bc he thinks we wont pay the mortgage and the land will be repossed. Basically my half brother wants easy money!

Read more: How to Get My Sibling's Name Removed From My Property Deed?