Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Is it a bad idea to use retirement stock and/or 401K for buying a future house?

I'm just 32 years old. I'm not planning on retiring before 65 or 70, if not a little later. Some years down the road from now, I want to eventually buy my own house (a new house with everything already up to code and modern and such) with a little bit of land. I'm pondering eventually pulling out my employer retirement stock (I can do that and still remain employed there) to put down a massive downpayment on the future house. As in… Like $40K or $50K downpayment. Hurry to pay the rest of the mortgage down as soon as I can and then, although retirement savings would be gone… I'd basically not have that mortgage payment hanging over my head. So even if I was like 40 or early 40's, instead of paying the mortgage payment each month, I'd be able to chunk in massive amounts of money into retirement stocks and 401K.

Is this feasible?
Added (1). Well, the theory is that instead of shelling out $800 a month for a mortgage… By mid-40's (if not earlier), it would be entirely paid off. Then you can contribute hundreds of dollars per month into 401K and stocks and still have 20+ years for them to grow.

Read more: Is it a bad idea to use retirement stock and/or 401K for buying a future house?