Saturday, August 22, 2015

Has Roy Jones tarnished his legacy more than any other great fighter, and what motivates him to still fight?


I know Cassius Clay and SRR were both great fighters that both hung on too long, but I think Jones's fall from grace is much more polarizing

Its been 11 years since his legacy was shattered at the hands of Antoniob Tarver, and he's gone on to get KOd on someone else's highlight reel several more times

All his fights have been against slow, white, chumps going back the last 8 years

I used to think Hopkins' success may be motivated Jones to keep fighting, but I notice the RJ persona Roy used to employ in 90s (most notably against Montell Griffin) has been gone for some time, replaced by this nice-guy approach to everything

Roy is THE LAST guy I ever would have thought this would happen to… Had he retired in 2003 at the age of 33 when most fighters are close to hanging them up, he would have a completely different legacy of dominance

Roy Jones is the saddest example of a fighter hanging on too long I have seen in my lifetime.

Shane Mosely is 2nd on the list

Arturo Gatti took way to many beatings, but somehow I believe he would have stayed retired had he not passed away

Hell, we all used to talk about Evander hanging in to long, but he seems to have adjusted to retirement in the last few years

Read more: Has Roy Jones tarnished his legacy more than any other great fighter, and what motivates him to still fight?