Saturday, October 31, 2015

I have an engineering/physics degree but feel I don t contribute to society?


I understand advanced physics and mathematics, and have a passion for technology, the cosmos, and all things unknown. I have a dual major in engineering and astrophysics. I am a corporate businessman, and make $200-300K per year. I feel that as a unique mind, I am slighting the general populace by not focusing my mental efforts on innovating and discovering. I am very comfortable financially, but know that if I pursue physics research, I will suffer a severe paycut and have trouble meeting my mortgage/general expenses. I am at a moral crossroads. Should I quit my job and pursue a research career, and potentially advance our general scientific knowledge? Or should I continue to live in a cushy manner that will give my family and children a carefree life? I am considering selling my house and taking a paycut to work as a research physicist. I am happiest when discussing cosmic mysteries. PS, I also think my current job might give me a premature heart attack due to stress.

Read more: I have an engineering/physics degree but feel I don t contribute to society?