Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Do you think $5000 is a lot of money fir a chequing account?


I keep a minimum of $5000 in my chequing account. My monthly expenses are $3500. This is everything, mortgage, utilities, groceries, vehicle expenses and so on. So basically I pay my bills and if I have anything left over, say $6000, I will transfer $1000 to my savings/investments. This has been working out great for me. Bills are paid, I have a decent savings account and if there is ever an emergency or I get laid off from work then I have $5000 to use so I don't have to pull money from my savings. I do this because my job isn't steady through winter as I work outside so having $5000 liquid is a huge help. Also if I keep a minimum of $1000 in my account then it's free to use. I do not get charged any fees. So really I treat it as having $4000 if that makes sense.

Every time I go to the bank the teller will say that I have way too much to keep in my chequing account and they always try to get me to transfer at least $2000 to my savings. Is it really too much? Is there a better way to manage my finances?

To simplify things here is a breakdown of a typical month

1) $5000 at the beginning of the month

2) after getting paid twice there is now $9500

3) use $3500 to pay bills and transfer $1000 to savings

4) start following month with $5000

Read more: Do you think $5000 is a lot of money fir a chequing account?