Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Police Officer Broke Down My Door, What do I do?

I own a rental apartment with a couple of units.

A couple of days ago, police officers had forced their entry into one of my units and as a result it left the door broken.

The reason for forced entry into the unit was because of a "decaying" smell which the neighbour in the adjacent unit complained of. Low and behold, the officers found jackshit inside the unit. Turns out the tenant just had a nasty room.

The officers simply left the unit. I wasn't even notified by them, but rather by my other tenants. The particular tenant who was door was broken down does is not frequently home and is complaining about the broken door. I obviously can't leave her without a door, so I fixed it the next day. The cost of replacing the door was roughly $300.00. I'm not exactly sure how these bozos forced their way in, but the door itself was damaged, the lock was unusable and I needed to replace the frame.

The cost of fixing that door is quite a bit (especially with the outflux of tenants, the strain of paying the mortgage is higher). The officers found no body or anything suspicious in the room. Furthermore, I highly doubt they had a search warrant, it seems they simply broke the door because of the foul smell and because the tenant did not answer. Do I have a case at claiming my money back from the police/municipal government (who fund our officers).

Read more: Police Officer Broke Down My Door, What do I do?