Monday, May 16, 2016

Husband bought expensive sports car that we can barely afford?

So my husband and I have been together for 13 years, no kids, and he really loves cars. He has bought several brand new sports cars over the years, and trades them in for a new model every few years. Well he now buys one that involves a monthly payment of over $700 a month, 5k removed from savings and 2K charged on a credit card. In addition, he will need to buy a winter vehicle which will probably cost another 5k alonger with insurance and other expenses. As it is we are spending $400 a month on my car. I never consented to this purchase but I knew there was nothing I could do to stop him as he was dying to buy the car. He is already talking about having to forgo vacations and other purchases so we can afford car expenses. I am not frugal by any means but this just seems over the top. He has offered to do more work around the house to make up for it. Am I crazy for accepting this? Or should I just let him live his dream? He would not stop me from spending money on frivolous items for myself, but I know our limits! We make around 200K together but live in a very high cost of living area so a large portion of our salary goes towards mortgage and taxes.
Added (1). also want to add that we live in a townhouse without any property
Added (2). also, everwhere we go we have to watch where we park so that the car doesn't get scratched or dinged and we have actually left stores/restaurants because he couldn't find an acceptable parking spot!

Read more: Husband bought expensive sports car that we can barely afford?