Thursday, February 9, 2017

Advice on switching careers from accounting to law enforcement, also need to move?


I'm a 29 year old corporate senior tax accountant and for the past 3 years, I have been considering a change to a career I have always wanted to do and that is becoming a police officer. Now the area I want to become one in pays well starting off (55k base plus overtime and I hear cops can pull in between 80 to 100 when all is said and done). I'm just not happy with what I do working behind a desk for the last 7 years plus the fact I took 3 years to come to the conclusion that I can't do this the rest of my life made this decision easier. I was also inspired by a friend a few years ago who was in the same situation and left his desk job to be a cop at 30 and he said it was the best decision of his life.

Now I need some advice because I have plenty of obstacles in my way. I do not live in the area but I'm right next to it and I live in a house that I own and pay almost 1,800 on my mortgage. I have 12 months to move once I start the academy and I'm trying to figure out ways to make this work. I wish I could afford to rent a small place in the area and simultaneously hang onto my current house but I don't know if it's possible.

My initial plan was to go through the academy and if I like it 6 months in than look for a place sell my car to get around 20k and not have a car payment to help offset but that's going to be tough because I love my car but don't need it since I have my truck.

Advice please?

Read more: Advice on switching careers from accounting to law enforcement, also need to move?