Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Should I keep my emergency fund in my credit union savings account, or should I opt for an online savings account that yields more interest?

Back when I had a car note I took a loan out with Wright-Patt Credit Union and after paying it off still got to keep a savings account with them. Currently I use this account to store my emergency fund of 3.5 months salary.

I also have a CD with Ally Bank, and recently realized that Ally's online savings account has a better interest rate than WPCU's.

Is there any major con or thing that you can think of regarding why I should stay with the credit union as opposed to going with Ally? I know that closing a bank account doesn't hurt your credit score, and I can't think of any other reason not to. Maybe you guys have some insight that I don't have, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PS: the only other thing I can think of is credit unions offer better mortgage interest rates, but my fiancee has a credit union account as well and we're not looking to buy a house at least for another two years.

Read more: Should I keep my emergency fund in my credit union savings account, or should I opt for an online savings account that yields more interest?