Sunday, April 2, 2017

How can I fight back? Against my HOA?

Last August my mortgage company forclosed on my condo. My condo association got weary of waiting (during that time waiting, my mortgage company was trying to do a loan modification). My condo association decided to end the waiting game by selling my property at an auction for $5000 interest only. When my mortgage company didn't shift, the HOA purchased my property for $5000. About a year later my condo was forclosed by the mortgage company. I left, and the mortgage company gave me $2500 for the move. They also told me all Liens put on the property by the HOA had been satisfied, paid in full. They told me that all of the HOAs fees and whatever was owed to them was paid in full. End of story, I was happy.
Two days ago I received a letter from my employer saying that the HOA had filed a motion to garnish my wages through the District Court system. They said I owed them $8000. I was shocked, I called the mortgage company and they were speechless, they said that all of the money owed to them was paid in full, and if there was a balance it was never brought to the attention of the mortgage company.
So this $8000, is from 2015 when they had sold my condo for $5000. Now the mortgage company said they will investigate.
Btw, the attorney found me through LinkedIn. My mortgage company did not provide the HOA my new address information so he searched me on LinkedIn and contacted my employer to garnish my wages.
What can I do? And please give me feedback on this. Thank you.

Read more: How can I fight back? Against my HOA?