Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Handling refi of a house after a breakup?

My ex-fiance and I broke up two years ago. I immediately moved out of the house and his new girlfriend moved in that same week. Before I moved out I told him that I wouldn't ask for anything for the house and I would sign off of it, I said this in the middle of our initial conversation. After this conversation I found messages of him flirting with the girl that he would come to date and moved out when he was away. I have made no payments towards the mortgage since leaving. He has been dragging his feet with the refi and is just now getting down to paperwork. I consider to have an investment in the property totaling $5k between money put down up front and enhancements we made to the house. It's probably more than that, but I'll settle at that amount. This does not include the 8 mortgage payments I made while living there with him. This does not include any gained equity from the increase in the home's value. I proposed that it would be fair if we split the refi cost which was $6k but now that he has taken forever it is $8k. I figure he owes me the difference of $1k. He is refusing and threatening to hold me responsible for the past two years I haven't paid the mortgage. Part of me wants to just be done with everything and agree to sign with nothing but a lot of the people around me strongly believe that I shouldn't walk away from an investment and that I'm owed something. Thoughts?

Read more: Handling refi of a house after a breakup?