Tuesday, June 27, 2017

I have a lien on someone's house and they filed bankruptcy. Are they off the hook?

I'm a chiropractor and treated a patient for several months while waiting for the patient's settlement check to come and have her pay me out the sum for the work I did. She received her check but never ended up paying me, so I took her to small claims court, won the judgement and she still never paid so I went back to small claims court and put a lien on her home. She filed bankruptcy a year later. Fast forward 9 years, she's trying to sell her home and I receive a notice from the mortgage company that I still have a lien on her home and they're asking me to submit a demand letter for her balance to remove the lien. I send it overC then days later receive a letter from the patient who says because of the bankruptcy I must remove the lien.

Am I required to do this or do I still have a case to collect the money upon the sale of the home?

Read more: I have a lien on someone's house and they filed bankruptcy. Are they off the hook?