Tuesday, November 7, 2017

I rent a private home in Ohio from someone who just passed away - what could happen to the house now? What should I do?

For the past 8 (almost 9) years I have paid rent to a family acquaintance and have been living in his house while he lived in an apartment. He had health issues and couldn't walk up the stairs in his house, plus he didn't need a big place, while I was married and just starting to have kids. Since he still had a mortgage to pay off and the house wasn't in an awesome condition to sell, it was a benefit for him to rent to someone he knew and trusted. It was a great situation that worked well for both of us.

Sadly, a few weeks ago he passed away at a rather young age. I doubt that he had a will. I'm almost positive that he still owed on the house. He has a couple of siblings but I don't know them at all. And I don't have a rental agreement, since most everything was verbal (though I do have some email communications).

I'm not sure what I should do. I was thinking I'd continue to mail the rent check to his apartment, in case he has a power of attorney that can cash them or at least to show that I'm making the effort to stay in good standing. Do I just wait to see if his bank posts a notice on our house and then call and explain the situation to them? Could they enter our home or sell it without us knowing? Would a lawyer likely contact me? Would I be able to offer to buy the house? Could my rent go towards the house if I buy? Can I continue to rent from the bank? Are there any steps I can take? I hate just waiting and not knowing what's going to happen!

Read more: I rent a private home in Ohio from someone who just passed away - what could happen to the house now? What should I do?