Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Have a roommate that pays rent and $100 towards utilities (per the contract we agreed upon)?

Summer was great, windows were open, utilities bills were manageable but come winter she keeps turning up the heat to 70 along with turning on the gas fireplace downstairs (no one sits down there) and the electric fireplace upstairs. When she is sitting upstairs she is in a t-shirt and shorts and claims she is freezing. She will only turn on everything when I'm away because when I'm home I like to keep my gas fireplace off downstairs (since no one sits down there) and the heat at 68. When it is turned up to 70 my whole house is extremely warm. Mind you I'm wearing a sweater or something warmer than shorts and a tshirt. How do I approach her with this? I have a feeling she is going to argue that her portion of the rent can be used to pay the bills, but that portion is paying for my other half of the mortgage.
Added (1). I'm just wondering because she thinks she is putting something towards the bills she can put the heat up as high as she wants because she knows I will pay the rest. I own the home and she rents out a room in my house. I took her in because her other roommate was leaving the apt they had and she could not afford to live there. She can only afford $700 total per month (including utilities).

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/have-a-roommate-that-pays-rent-and-100-towards.html