Friday, March 16, 2018

Purchasing a house on ODSP

I'm an Ontario resident and disabled. My fiance is also disabled, but has not been offered disability yet, and tries to work part time.

I have been reading, and from what I have been reading we're able to purchase a home on ODSP, or at least I'm.

We're currently living in a rental house for 1000 a month, with terrible conditions but due to the landlord not doing a lease with us, and us not wanting to remain here, we're considering doing a house.

We can't find a house under 1200 plus utilities, and think it is stupid to be paying of somebody elses mortgage.

I have a service dog, my fiance has a mobility dog, and I have a pet dog. My pet dog was a gift before my grandmother died of cancer, so I will not consider rehoming. It costs nothing to feed them before thats brought up.

I'm wondering, how long have you been on ODSP before you could apply for a mortgage?

How did you go about doing this, do I need to see a special bank?

We have been seeing a lot of houses for way under 200,000 with a good chunk of property and want to obtain one, so I can keep busy. I like to do yard work.

I'm just wondering how soon I can get everything in motion.

I will be using a pay out I'm having my doctor sign for as the down payment, as I have a condition that has a 20,000 savings account for these things.

I appreciate any advice.
Added (1). We will be saving for any repairs, and I have an inheritance in 7 years that I want to put towards a mortgage as well.

Read more: Purchasing a house on ODSP