Friday, March 9, 2018

Will settling with creditors help me get hired?

I have about $20,000 in credit card debt. I became delinquent on all of it in 2017 due, in part, to nonpayment of a decent amount of money I was owed for a project and a poorly written contract. Most or all of it has been charged off.

I agreed to a 5-year payment arrangement with one creditor last year because I was advised they were likely to sue and have been faithful in paying it. I also have a mortgage in good standing and some student loans listed as "Pays as agreed" with a payment amount of $0. (I expect the student loans to be discharged by May or so.)

I'm now being sued by one of my creditors for about $10,000 owed on two cards.

If I can settle these two accounts before the creditor gets a judgment, will that help my chances of employment at all? Or would it be a waste of money in terms of helping my job search, considering everything else on my credit report?

What if I agree to settle all of my delinquent accounts? Is this type of thing seen as better than not paying at all or as weaseling out of what you owe? Or am I pretty much out of luck no matter what I do at this point?

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/will-settling-with-creditors-help-me-get-hired.html