Wednesday, May 16, 2018

How much would you charge your kids for board? And would you charge them extra for putting the heating on for 10 minutes here & there?

My partners parents are financially stable. They won £100,000 a couple of years ago, paid a lot of the mortgage off, and purchased a massive camper van to go travelling in (which they do almost every weekend).
The house is massive, neither of them work apart from his Mom working 5 hours per week just to get out of the house, they've recently spend a grand on a husky puppy, and they spend so much money on luxury food.

But they still complain about being "broke". Tonight when I visited my boyfriend, I asked for the heating on because I was cold (the house is very big, so it's hardly warm), I'm also flued up at the moment so was practically shivering. We had an argument because he said he will get yelled at if he puts the heating on, anyway, eventually he puts it on for half hour max.

His parents come home from walking the dog and go absolutely mental at him saying they're putting his board up to £350 (£75 extra), JUST FOR PUTTING THE HEATING ON FOR HALF HOUR.

They currently get £300 from him & £300 from his sister. Both of them are in their 20's, and I just think that's is so petty that they have to ask for the heating on in their own home. Their shower time is also monitored. They both work full time, my boyfriend goes to the gym 4 days a week, and he stays at my house every weekend so he's rarely at home (apart from to sleep in the weekdays). Do you think £300-£350 is a fair amount to charge?

I think it's ridiculous!
Added (1). They are both TRYING to save to move out, mortgage deposits are not cheap. My partner is 29 and has been saving for 8 years now, he buys his own food which is £100 a month, yet he has to pay £300 for their bills?

The last of the mortgage was paid off when they won £100,000. They also won £25,000 a few months ago, yet still complain about being poor. I just think that charging your kids £300 just for a room, is unfair. They should be supporting them to move out, not draining their money!

Read more: https://allmortgage.net/forum/how-much-would-you-charge-your-kids-for-board-and-would.html