Friday, July 20, 2018

Should my ex husband have done this to my mother?

My mom lost her job and got behind on her mortgage payments and was in danger of losing her home of 30 years. Of all the people she could of asked for help, she asked my ex husband Bill. She really liked Bill when we were married and he really liked her. She thought of him as the son she never had. I guess that friendship did not stop with our friendly divorce like I thought it would.

Bill immediately paid the back mortgage payments and also he paid 1 years mortgage payments in advance. He also used his business contacts to get her a new job. That is totally in character with Bill. As long as I have known him, if he finds out someone needs help, he helps them. Mom went from VERY DEPRESSED to VERY HAPPY in one day.

I'm not sure how I should feel about this. I and my siblings agree that mom should of asked us first for help but we all admit we could not have helped her like Bill did. We just do not have that kind of money. I told Bill we would somehow repay him. He told me he would not accept any repayment. He said mom was great to us when we were married and this was his repayment to her.

Am I off base to think mom should of asked us first before going outside the family for help. Is it possible that it would be too embarrassing for mom to ask her family for help? How should I feel about what Bill did? I'm totally confused.

Read more: Should my ex husband have done this to my mother?