Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Buying house while in college?


I am approaching the end of my military career and am a few months from returning to Texas. I will be returning to college full time and using the Post 9/11 GIB. Between the BAH, a good savings from deployments, the Texas Be-On-Time loan which requires no repayment if you maintain a 3.0. I have enough to pay my bills no problem. I have been planning on renting an apt with a friend with an extra bedroom for my son who lives near by with his mother. While doing the research it has crossed my mind a few times to look into buying a house. I have been looking at new constructions mostly. Rent for a 1500sf 3/2 with 2 car garage is about $1500-$1600. Mortgages on a 1600sf 3/2 with 2 car garage and yard is in the low $900. HOA fee's in the neighborhoods I'm looking are $25/mo, and TX property tax I estimate at $3,350 a year or about $280/mo. Those add up to $1,205 give or take. I already have a roommate set up but had previously planned for the event we didn't room together and my budgeted for $1,200/mo anyway. With him there with him willing to pay $600 that he would have spent on apt my mortgage comes to an astoundingly low $600. Any input on the situation would be great. Also, I know about mowing grass and upkeep, I enjoy that. Utilities at both places would be about the same. Ideas?

Read more: Buying house while in college?