Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Can you claim Employment Insurance in Canada when getting a large settlement from an injury case?


I am wondering if someone could still get Employment Insurance in Ontario if they're receiving around $50,000 from a slip and fall law suit. The lawsuit settlement is tax free. I know that in some cases if you intend to defraud EI you can get penalized thousands of dollars, I'm not trying to do that. I am off work because of a slipand fall I, I needed to have surgery so I'm getting EI benefits for that. I sued the company where I fell and everything is now wrapping up and I should be getting a check in the next week. I'm getting my first EI payment in the next few days. Serious answers only, don't try and scare me. I'm not trying to fraud the government, if I can not use the settlement money, I'd rather save it for my son's tuition rather than bills and mortgage and such.

Read more: Can you claim Employment Insurance in Canada when getting a large settlement from an injury case?