Friday, May 30, 2014

Can you do a quit claim deed before marriage?

My fiancee and I live in the house I own. We are looking to do some bigger work to the house which requires a loan. I have horrible credit. My fiance has great credit. The bank we are applying with stated the only thing holding back the approval of the loan is the he is not on the property. They suggested a quit claim deed. We completed the form and had it notarized, took it to the auditor's office and were told that if we did the quit claim deed prior to our marriage we would have to pay a 1.7% fee towards to remainder of the bal owed on the mortgage. However, if we do it after we are married it would be $10. I do not understand how they can charge any more then what I filled out in the deed paperwork, which was: for and in consideration of the sum of Ten Dollars and other good and valuable consideration. Is there any way around this? Oh, and we live in Washington state.

Read more: Can you do a quit claim deed before marriage?