Saturday, May 31, 2014

Why is my credit score worse than husband's - when he has a bankruptcy on his credit report?

My credit score is 628 (Trans Union).

In my 20s, I made mistakes. Was 30 days late on my mortgage twice in 2004 and once in 2008 (I've since sold that house and paid off the loan). I had a few credit card 30-day late payments (one in 2004, one in 2006 and one in 2010). So my last late payment was 4 years ago.

I'm now in my 30s. I've paid all my cards off. I have $0 credit card debt. I've worked hard (2 jobs) and saved cash. I bought my car with cash, and put $40,000 down on a house.

My only debt now is my house (even with a bad credit score, I was able to get a home with a 3.75 percent rate since I had 20 percent to put down and I bought a point). My mortgage broker said initially when she saw my score she was concerned until she looked at the report and saw how clean it was.

Didn't think much about this until my husband pulled his credit - and his score was much higher than mine (742).

This bothered me because before we met (in his mid-20s), he filed bankruptcy, which included a house foreclosure and a car repossession. He's turned his life around and is now great with money- so I am not faulting him for filing. He learned a lesson.

But I don't understand why his score is so much better than mine. We both learned hard financial lessons in our 20s.

Why is it that I worked 2 jobs and paid my debt off and my credit score is still bad… And he filed bankruptcy (so debt was wiped away) and his score is ok?

Read more: Why is my credit score worse than husband's - when he has a bankruptcy on his credit report?