Friday, June 20, 2014

Does a parent have the right to vent their problems to their children?

My parents are in the process of a divorce because my dad doesn't take responsibilities with the mortgage, bills and he's not working. He also has cancer and cannot work long hours. Anyway, my mum asked him to sign the papers to sell the house but he doesn't want to. He said he wants to keep it for the kids when they grow up. My sister and I are 18 and 19 and we're not ready to move out as we're still both in college. My mum has spoken to my dad about selling the house but he just doesn't want to know. My mum works in a launderette and cannot keep the machine running and wants to sell the shop as well, but my dad doesn't agree because it's a shame to have a shop and not keep it running. She can't cope with the rent and machine etc.

Anyway, my mum asks me and my sister to talk to him to make him understand as she has spoke to him already but failed. Every time we tell her we have spoken to him, she vents her frustration on us when she should vent her frustration on our dad as he never listens. Is that fair to bring the kids involved in this divorce. We are innocent in all of this.

Read more: Does a parent have the right to vent their problems to their children?