Wednesday, June 25, 2014

How should I make this promissory note?

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine with making an official document. I'm good with business and HR stuff but don't really know the first thing about legal matters so I'm having a little trouble.

He is going through a divorce and just wants to do the right thing by giving his wife some extra money to help out because he missed a few mortgage payments when they were together and now she's a little behind but he doesn't want her to be able to come back later on and say that he never gave her anything for this.

I've found a billion different promissory notes or IOU examples online but EVERY single one of them pertains to loans and has details about the borrower and lender. I cannot find an example for one that is not for a loan and just paying money to someone.

Any help would be appreciated.
Added (1). Also, He wants to make it so that the payments start when the divorce is finalized. Is that possible?

Read more: How should I make this promissory note?